Friday 16 August 2013

Rainbow Promise

I have missed my rainbows over the summer.  I honestly cant wait till next week to get started again.  Myself and the other leaders have had the planning meeting and we have an amazing program prepared. 

A few of my Rainbows wont be returning after the summer.  This is due to the change of the Promise.  At the start of the Summer Holidays we got an email stating that after consultation the Promise would be changed to make it more inclusive.  Its changing from;

"I promise that I will do my best to love my God and to be kind and helpful"
 
 to
 
" I promise that I will do my best to think about me beliefs and to be kind and helpful"
 
 
 
I have to admit as a Christian, when I first saw the new promise and saw that the word "God" had been removed, I was really upset and was unsure if I even wanted to continue on with Guiding.  After a lot of prayer, I have decided I will continue for the time being.  A few friends of mines have decided to withdraw their girls from Guiding completely and I completely understand and respect their decisions.  Eilidh will still attend Rainbows as she enjoys it and I don't feel that she would get the experiences and opportunities that she will get from guiding in a few years anywhere else. 
 
I still feel like I should be doing more witnessing as a Christian, so I have been praying about starting a Girl's Brigade unit.  This will be a lot of work and the decision should not be taken lightly or as a knee jerk reaction to the Girl Guiding Promise change. 
 
In a couple of weeks, I will be introducing the new promise to 18 young girls.  We will be talking about our beliefs, I will tell them that I believe;
 
 
I am a Christian.  Jesus was God's son, sent to earth to die on the cross so that we
could be saved from sin.
 
Ever person on earth should have the right to shelter, clean water and food.
 
Every child should have access to education.
 
Every person should have access to medicine and medical care.
 
We should follow the Law.
 
We should respectful of others, try to put others first and try to do a good turn
every day.
 
 
 
I can't wait to hear about what they believe!
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment